Yesterday I went backwards to explain how long it took to complete a quilt top and why I can’t answer the above question. Today I’m gonna go forward in time and do some math to try to figure out how long it’ll take to make a quilt I’m working on. And yes, I have many quilts going at the same time. Breathe…I know that stresses some of you out…but its how I work. :)
This is a block I finished last month:

Isn’t it adorable? Notice the hand embroidery in it:

Embroidery and appliqué. Lots of HANDwork. I love handwork. But it also equates to lots of time going by to finish something…….LOTS. This particular quilt is a block of the month I’m doing called
Butterfly Garden. That means each month I get a little kit in the mail for one block. The idea is you make that one block…in that one month…and thus you aren’t overwhelmed by the whole project and you can keep up! Ha! I got that first kit last July. I just finished it in November. July- November. 5 months = 1 block. There are 9 blocks in this quilt top. 9 x 5 = 45.
45 months. That’s 3.75 years. Yes, years! Just to get the top done. And that’s only if I continue at my current rate of work….and not take off December to do other things…and not be distracted by any life events like grandbabies or weddings …and not get sick…or go on vacation…..or ???
This quilt will need special quilting once it’s done. Would love to hand quilt it. But I could never handle two quilts to hand quilt (anniversary quilt has priority) so I’ll probably have it professionally machine quilted. That’ll be a good thing cuz once that 3.75 years is over with, it should only be another year to have it quilted and bound.
Does this tire you out? LOL!
Not me. Beautiful things can take time. Do take time. And all my quilts are beautiful things.

2 comments:
Beautiful things do take time don't they...heres to beautiful things, including your friendship!
I love, love love this quilt. Did I mention before that I want copies of the directions?
Post a Comment